Monday, July 1, 2013

Blogging on Vacation: Genealogy and Family Time

Well, I'm in Saskatchewan visiting my family, and have plans to visit some genealogy-associated sites over the next couple of weeks.

This will include cemeteries at Carrot River, Brockington and Davidson, SK, and Deloraine, MB.

I will be taking photos and hopefully mapping where the cemeteries are located for future reference! Unfortunately, it has been raining like crazy, so the roads may be washed out.

Here's the first location:  Carrot River Valley Lutheran Church!

I was a bit worried when I saw the pile of stones across the drive from the Church -- have they removed the headstones and we won't be able to get the photos?


The answer:  NO.  The cemetery had been over-run by snakes that had moved in under the many cover stones placed over each burial.  To remove the problem most of the cover stones have been removed.  This means I'll be able to find the family burials.  Here's one that is linked to a previous post:


My maternal great uncle Orval Gordon Spearman and his wife IsaBelle McConnachie.  It was great to see flowers at the Spearman grave!  The region around Carrot River has slowly lost the majority of the population as land has been bought up by super-farms, and most family-farms have gone the way of the dodo bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment